GENERAL INFO ON AMSTERDAM
- Amsterdam.info: Comprehensive site with general info on Amsterdam, tips for restaurants etc.
- holland.com: Official site of the Dutch Tourist Board
- IAmsterdam.com: Official site of the Amsterdam tourist board - also to order the IAmsterdam pass.
- Expatica.com: Site for expats living in Holland - with Dutch news in English
- 9 streets and the Jordaan: The best area to walk around and do some boutique shopping.
- Hortus Botanicus: an oasis of quiet in the center of Amsterdam - with a nice terrace in the summer.
- The IJ and KNSM island: Take a free ferry from the station to the western island to see one of the best modern architecture - worth it for the trip alone.
- Albert Cuijp Market: Amsterdams liveliest market in the Pijp area - for a taste of the real Amsterdam
- Biking to Durgerdam: great way to discover the Dutch countryside - ride you bike along the water to this picturesque village
- Bloemendaal aan Zee - Not called 'Amsterdam by the sea' for nothing - one of the best spots on the coast near Zandvoort with good clubs and parties at night.
- Tuschinski: A wonderful Art Deco cinema near Rembrandt square - try to get a ticket for the main room.
- Cat cabinet museum: museum dedicated to art featuring cats - also the location of two of our apartments
- Sugar Factory: our favourite nighttime hangout near Leidseplein - with shows in the evening and dancing at night
- Winston Kingdom: small club on the Warmoestraat with bands in the evening.
- Paradiso: the classic pop temple on Leidseplein, located in an old church with several stages.
- Blijburg: On the artificial beach in Zeeburg, also great for swimming
- Bitterzoet: Lots of hiphop and classics in a laid back athmosphere
- Keuken van 1870: Real Dutch dishes at a good price - much like an old canteen on the Spuistraat.
- Greetje: More Dutch food, but a lot more refined.
- Muziekgebouw aan het IJ: The new concert hall on the IJ lake behind central station has a great terrace on the water and a lot of classical and jazz concerts.
- Bakkkerswinkel: Nice sandwiches on special bread in laid back surroundings - on Warmoestraat.
- Latei: second hand shop/ cafe on the Zeedijk with an excellent collection of 70s antiques and apple pie
- brouwerij het IJ: microbrewery located in an old windmill with a wonderful terrace in the summer
- Dutch phrases: some useful phrases in Dutch for travellers - an effort is much appreciated by the Dutch
- Tourist Doctor: in case you need an english speaking doctor
- Amsterdam tourist police: If ever you need them call Amsterdam Tourist Assistance +31 (0)20-625 32 46